X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 Jailbreak Users Being Banned On PSN

Sony has started banning users who have jailbroken their PS3. Users are being given a lifetime ban on the PlayStation Network if their PS3s have been detected to be using unofficial firmware.

Sony just a few days ago released a statement on the PS3 hacking issue, warning all those that are using hacked PS3 firmware to cease immediately, or face drastic actions.

Those users with hacked PS3s were also warned via email to restore their PS3 to official status, and those that did not heed the warning are subsequently finding their PS3s banned from the PSN. These users then face the dreaded "8002a227" error when trying to log into PSN, although it appears most other functions are still unaffected.

Sony's rival, Microsoft, has had a long history of banning users who hack their Xbox 360 consoles, with actions taken ranging from a console ban to Xbox Live (Microsoft's equivalent of the PSN) account bans.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I have never heard about anyone's account being banned from Xbox Live for them using a modded system, only the console ID. That's the main reason I'm not going to hack my Xbox 360, I don't know how to and at this point don't care as I'd rather not get banned for it.

But seriously Sony, WTF.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Digitalboy
      Hello
      • Feb 2011

That is a harsh punishment for kids

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
        I have never heard about anyone's account being banned from Xbox Live for them using a modded system, only the console ID. That's the main reason I'm not going to hack my Xbox 360, I don't know how to and at this point don't care as I'd rather not get banned for it.

But seriously Sony, WTF.
        They ban Xbox Live accounts from anywhere between 3 hours to permanent.
        Most of those bans are a result of using custom dvd drive firmware.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

All fairly predictable stuff from Sony, although they could have banned the console, as opposed to the PSN account. With that said, can't people just create fake PSN accounts to use on the hacked consoles, and then create new ones if they get banned? I know they won't get to keep trophies and stuff, but it's probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Also, they should only ban the consoles with firmware that allows pirated games or cheating, as not all the custom firmware allow that I think. It would at least paint them in a better light, in that while they don't like people messing with Sony's stuff (not really their stuff once you buy it, but the licensing agreement says otherwise), some of the hacking isn't that harmful at all (and it may even help PS3 sales, which the recent NPD figures showing that it came third again in the US in January, some 30% less than the Xbox 360).
          Last edited by admin; 19 Feb 2011, 12:22 PM.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

They ban Xbox Live accounts from anywhere between 3 hours to permanent.
            Most of those bans are a result of using custom dvd drive firmware.
            So is Microsoft banning gamertags now instead of just console IDs?
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
              So is Microsoft banning gamertags now instead of just console IDs?
              Consoles are banned, Gamertag gets wiped and labeled as CHEATER, for everyone to see, but you get to continue using it.....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎