Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: iPad 2: What's New?

Administrator

Default iPad 2: What's New?

So by now you should have heard about Apple's new iPad 2, and the question most people will be asking is: what's new?

First of all, it will be faster. The iPad 2 will feature the new A5 dual-core CPU, which Apple's Steve Jobs has promised will be "up to twice as fast" for CPU related tasks, and an amazing 9 times the original iPad's graphical performance. Apple's engineers have made sure the 10 hour battery time hasn't been affected.

The other major hardware changes include a two camera system similar to the iPhone 4, which will allow FaceTime video conferencing - the rear camera has the HD resolution of 720p, while the front camera is "VGA quality".

The physical aspects of the iPad has also changed. It is now slimmer, 33% in fact, and the reduced girth means it is also lighter - 1.3 pounds (590g) versus the original iPad's 1.5 pounds (680g). And it now comes in the colour white as well.

There are also a bunch of new accessories for the iPad 2. HDMI output is now supported, but only via a $39 HDMI connector. The HDMI output will allow everything you see on the iPad to be visible on your HDMI equipped TV. The other major accessory is the "Smart Cover", basically an official case (plastic or leather) for the iPad 2 that also doubles as a stand. It comes in 10 colours and is priced at $39 and $69 respectively for the plastic, leather versions.

In terms of software, two new Apple Mac titles have made their way to the iPad 2, iMovie and GarageBand, allowing the iPad 2 to be used for content creation as well as content consumption.

As for prices, it's $499 for the cheapest iPad 2 model (16GB, Wi-Fi only), all the way to $829 for the most feature laden model (64GB, Wi-Fi/3G). Sorry wireless fans, no 4G support has been announced. It will be available for sale 11th March (in the US).

The original iPad have all received discounts, with prices now starting at $399.

Links:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20038521-266.html

http://business.financialpost.com/20...in-the-ipad-2/
    Last edited by admin; 3 Mar 2011 at 01:50 PM

Hello

Not bad, i've never been an ipad fan, but will be keen to have a go on this to see if its tempts me.

NOT an online superstore drfsupercenter's Avatar

So in other words, Apple is coming out with something that other developers like Motorola have already done and made it sound revolutionary. What Steve Jobs does best. So in other words: I am not impressed.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀ǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Administrator

Many are already dubbing this as the iPad 1.5, although to be fair, Apple popularised the tablet format, so they deserve some credit. Others have since copied and improved upon the original iPad, just like companies have done in regards to the smartphone, and there will always be more innovative products out there than what Apple is offering (which is mainly geared towards mainstream buyers who want a simple, easy to use offering and also want what everyone else has).

How did Apple popularize it at all? I had heard about tablets long before the iPad came out - even cool things like Lenovo's U1 Hybrid. But sadly that was delayed - but still, I'm quite certain that was announced before the iPad was.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀ǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Administrator

Because the iPad is the first tablet to actually be popular with the mainstream (and it still is the most popular tablet by a large margin - Android tablets are only becoming viable now that Honeycomb, or Android 3.0, tablets, like the Motorola Xoom, are available).

They didn't invent the format, nor were they even the most enthusiastic about it during the last decade (Microsoft/Bill Gates I remember was the most enthusiastic about the tablet platform, although that was more about PCs in tablet form, as opposed to custom made hardware/software that is the iPad. And Apple did have the Newton back in the early 90's as well). But they did make it a must-have item for mainstream users, and that's what Apple has been really good at recently (ditto with portable media players and smartphones).

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

I love my ipad! However, I can't see the value in upgrading quite yet.

Ipad 2 still needs Flash support and proper support for MS Office files; not half-arsed attempts like now. To be fair, some 3rd party apps like Good Reader almost get there.

Regards

I dunno, I've always hated Apple for their brainwashing mentality. I admit that Apple has ways of making their products insanely popular - but part of that is due to false advertising... I know my university has this ad for the new iPod Shuffle that says "the first mp3 player that talks to you", when that's not true at all...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀ǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Thread Information