X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Android Malware Attack: Google Market Apps Contains Exploit

In what is the most serious breach of Android's security yet, a number of apps found on Google's Android Market contains code that could steal your data and leave your phone in a vulnerable state for further attacks.

Over 50 apps have been pulled by Google from Android Market, but it is unknown how many phones have already been infected, since these apps have been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times already combined.

Android phones using earlier versions of the Android operating system (pre 2.2.2 and 2.3) contain a security flaw that allows the rooting of the OS, which then opens a "backdoor" that enables more malware to be installed onto the phone.

The malware apps also steal the phone user's information, including the phone's unique IMEI number.

Google has taken swift action, removing the offending apps minutes after they were warned of the problem by Android Police. Google has pulled the apps from the market, and also remotely from people's phones, but a full reset of the phone is the only way to ensure the OS is not compromised for those that have run the offending apps.

Security software firm Trend Micro only recently issued a warning regarding the increased security vulnerability of Android phones compared to other phones.

Android Police has published a list of offending apps here:

More:

Last edited by admin; 3 Mar 2011, 01:55 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Digitalboy
    Hello
    • Feb 2011

Now everyone will realise why Apple was so strict in accepting apps.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

It's a good point. But in return, people do get the ability to do a lot more with their Android phone than with their iPhone, such as being able to install anything you want, or root the phone yourself. It's almost the same as the PC vs Mac argument all over again, a tightly controlled ecosystem, or a free for all that provides more freedom to tinker.

Comment

• Digitalboy
        Hello
        • Feb 2011

true, with freedom comes hacker freedom too. Its one of those things.

Comment

• Budreaux
          • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Digitalboy
          Now everyone will realise why Apple was so strict in accepting apps.
          That isn't why Apple was so strict on apps, it was a money thing for them.
          I will never own an iPhone....my Droid allows me the freedom that I should have with my own hardware.
          The thing to look at here is how quickly Google pulled the offending apps....they didn't play around, less than 5 minutes from first contact and the apps were pulled. Look for updates to try and prevent this again..soon.

Comment

• Digitalboy
            Hello
            • Feb 2011

true, people pay good money for apple products, they should be allowed to use whatever software they want I guess. Lets face it Android is the itune killer, I don't think there is any turning back on this one.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Budreaux
              That isn't why Apple was so strict on apps, it was a money thing for them.
              It's definitely also related to money (probably the main reason for Apple to be honest), but their "public" reasoning is that it's all for security, and this argument does have merit, even before the Android malware scare.

I for one don't like Apple devices simply because you have to do everything through iTunes.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Ultimately, the more things you can do with an OS, the easier for exploits to pop up. I think that should be proof enough that Android phones are a lot more powerful than iPhones right there.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡