Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob_1
    • Mar 2011

Problems with home cinema set up

Hi - I've set up a Sony E370 home cinema system today with my samsung C650 tv but am having some problems with the set up:

1) When watching Blu-Ray dvd the sound ever so slightly lags behind the video - is there anything I can do about this? I have used a high quality HDMI connection from BluRay player to the TV.

2) I can only seem to get 2.1 sound from the system when watching the TV - does anyone know how I can get the other speakers to work while watching the TV please?? I have used a digital optical cable from BluRay player to the TV.

Would really appreciate any feedback/comments! Thank you!
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The audio lag issue is a common one, but it's mostly due to your TV's video processor delaying the picture display, and so it should be causing lag in the other direction (ie. sound lags behind video). This is why most receivers/HTiBs have A/V sync adjustments, but usually to only further delay the audio. I guess the only thing you can do is to check the AV Sync setting (refer to your E370 manual), and make sure the audio delay is set to 0.

Also, if the audio lags behind the video, perhaps you can try to delay the video by adjusting some settings on your TV. For example, if you turn off "Game Mode" on the TV, this should ensure the TV processes the picture fully, and so it will delay the picture output (game mode is for playing games where any delay/lag is unacceptable, so turning it on disables a lot of the picture processing functions to ensure the the picture delay is minimal).

As for getting 5.1 audio from your TV, are you sure the broadcast was in 5.1? Normally, the TV's optical output will only provide 5.1 audio via TV broadcasts decoded by the TV's internal tuner (and of course, only when the TV program in question is broadcast in 5.1 audio), it will only output 2ch audio for watching anything other than TV broadcasts. I would also check the E370 settings just to make sure it hasn't been set to downmix 5.1 audio to 2.1.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• bob_1
      • Mar 2011

Hi –

Thanks so much for your response it is very helpful.

As you correctly pointed out I did indeed have sound lagging behind video. Referring to the AV sync fixed this by moving the lag time.

Secondly, you must have been correct on the TV programme not being broadcast in 5.1 surround sound as I’m now watching the football, and I now have sound from all my speakers!

I’m not quite sure whether there is any need for me to have a digital optical cable as well as an HDMI connection. I have both in place but I suspect the former may be unneccesary.

Thank you very much for solving both my problems!

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

It all depends if your TV and E370's HDMI supports the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature found in HDMI 1.4, if so, then you won't need the optical cable, but if not, then you will have to stick with it. If your TV supports ARC, it should have a HDMI port marked as "ARC", and you'll need to use this port to connect your E370 to your TV.

I think there's a setting on the E370 that turns on/off ARC (check the manual), but I think only the Samsung 7/8/9 series has HDMI ARC support.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎