X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespin
    • Mar 2011

NON-Standard DVDROM firmware update

"Hello world!"

Great forum you have here, people. This is my first post.

I have a LG GDR-H10N DVDROM (SATA I think) on my Dell Dim E520 running XP Pro. It's of no use to me. I just let the standard option ride when I was purchasing the machine because Dell was charging too much for an upgrade. So I planned to do it later more cheaply. But it's not my only machine and I don't use it for burning.

However, one day accidentally I discovered that it could write data CDs (with a bit of trouble) when I forgot that it wasn't supposed to be able to. But I wasn't paying attention, and it was quite a while back, and I don't remember what burn utility I was using.

At the time I figured that, for economy, LG had just disabled a burner via the firmware so it was read only, similarly to the way Intel sometimes disables features on a processor and sells it cheaper. So I planned to update the firmware later.

However, I find that none of the firmware update programs I have come across will allow an update using firmware ostensibly for a different optical drive. And I do realize why. But I am willing to risk it since a read only drive is useless to me.

I suspect that some enterprising person has created update software that allows this cross seeding, but so far I have been unable to find such online.

Please help. Thanks.
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎