X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Domain Blocking, As An Anti-Piracy Measure, Defeated Before It's Even Used

Usenet download website Newzbin2 has found an ready made solution to counter the entertainment industry's efforts to shut down websites by blocking their domain name.

Using a tool widely used today to protect freedom of speech around the world, Newzbin2 says they've already made it possible for users to access their website even if the MPAA manages to block their domain name.

The tool in question is Tor, a tool frequently used by human rights campaigners around the world to protect their identities from the prying eyes of governments, and now this tool has made it possible for Newzbin2 to operate without having a domain name.

It appears, once again, the entertainment industry's attempt to use technology to curb piracy has failed, this time before they even started, and has made websites like Newzbin2 even more resilient.

More:

Last year the MPAA took legal action against UK ISP BT in an attempt to force it to block the domain of Usenet indexing site Newzbin2. While the government and its communications watchdog run around trying to find out if effective site blocking is feasible, Newzbin2 have just taken steps to neutralize it before it even happens.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Ugh, the concept of domain blocking just sickens me. I realize it started as a "good" cause, but just think about it. Next thing you know, people are going to be abusing that power - and things like political activist sites will be blocked because their views differ from that of the elected officials. It's infringing upon our right to freedom of speech, in my honest opinion.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡