X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sony Settles Lawsuit With geohot, Hotz Plans Sony Product Boycott

Sony and George Hotz, aka geohot, has reached a settlement. Sony sued Hotz back at the start of January for providing information regarding the hacking of the PS3, and after weeks of bickering, disputes, equipment seizures, allegation of a South American escape, Sony has finally decided they've had enough and has settled the lawsuit.

The details of the settlement sees Hotz agreeing never to hack another Sony device ever, of face fines of up to $10,000 for each hacking offence. However, that should not be a problem for the hacker, who says he is planning to boycott Sony products anyway and urges all to join in in the boycott.

"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the SONY boycott. I will never purchase another SONY product. I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something SONY recently, return it. Why would you not boycott a company who feels this way about you?" geohot posted on his blog, Geohot Got Sued.

However, hacktivist group Anonymous, which recently launched a string of attacks on Sony servers in protest of the treatment of hackers like geohot, says that while the legal battle is over, the war against Sony is just beginning.

The following was posted on AnonNews.org, the official blog of the group: "In the eyes of the law, this case is over. We disagree. We believe Sony's actions in this case are unjust. We do not agree with Sony forcing social media sites like Youtube to hand over the IP addresses of people who viewed GeoHot's videos... We find it unacceptable that Sony is even permitted to request this information in the first place. These acts are completely disrespectful and unforgivable"

And Anonymous is taking the protest into the real world too, with planned protests outside of Sony stores around the world on 16th April.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Geohot donates $10,000, the funds left over from donations made to him, to EFF. Geohot writes, "This money goes to the EFF in hopes that America can one day again be a shining example of freedom, free of the DMCA and the ACTA (anti-counterfeiting trade agreement), and that private interest will never trump the ideas laid out in the constitution of privacy, ownership, and free speech. At the end of the day, something I take comfort in. The PS3 got OWNED."

Comment

• transcribe
      • Dec 2010

That's news really! Sony has done a commandable job.

Comment

• SheCanBuild
        • Apr 2005

ok ok so sony is totally blowing it here. and hacker group anonymous is doing what they feel is a good way of teaching sony ppl a lesson. my problem with hacker group anonymous is that while they're doing a great job at messing with sony (obviously lol) they are also doing a fantastic job of messing with sony's consumers! that is the ppl they are fighting for in the first place, and we are the ones paying for this fiasco, because we cant play our systems online. waaaa its really making me crazy.

had i known years ago (and 1000 of dollars worth of gaming and other media) then i would have went with 'the other guys'. but hey. i'm fully invested at this point. so what am i. and others like myself supposed to think about this latest server shutdown that the hacker group anonymous has caused? its annoying how the ppl in the middle are lost in the shuffle somehow.

anyway ty for the post. i'm going now to see if i can log on to the playstation network now. fingers are crossed!

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Apparently, the recent PSN down time has nothing to do with Anonymous, or at least that's what Anonymous claims. Could be hackers, inspired by Anonymous, doing it I suppose. Still, you would hope that Sony has built redundancies into the system to prevent something like this from happening.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎