• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

Previewing ‘Windows 8’

REDMOND, Wash. – June 1, 2011 – Today, at the D9 Conference, we demonstrated the next generation of Windows, internally code-named “Windows 8,” for the first time. Windows 8 is a reimagining of Windows, from the chip to the interface. A Windows 8-based PC is really a new kind of device, one that scales from touch-only small screens through to large screens, with or without a keyboard and mouse.
    Wow. Microsoft has started a series of what is coming in the future of Windows.

Some fancy new changes. I am hopeful that it will be as smooth as Windows 7 was. It will be also interesting to see if all of our favorite programs will still be compatible.

Enjoy the info. Make sure you watch the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I
    Last edited by PurpleDemon; 2 Jun 2011, 02:36 PM.

• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft do need to improve their tablet OS, because iOS and Android are already dominating.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Sounds like the dreaded "Microkernel" doesn't it? They just started to get the one we have now usable, so just as it's almost fixed they break it. It never ends.

Almost 20 years since Windows 3.1 and you still need an AddOn to have multiple tabs in Explorer!!

Comment

• PurpleDemon
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2006

They just started to get the one we have now usable, so just as it's almost fixed they break it. It never ends
        It will definitely put most of our current hardware specs out date it seems. I wonder if people will hang on to Windows 7 like people have with XP.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by burrell84601
          It will definitely put most of our current hardware specs out date it seems. I wonder if people will hang on to Windows 7 like people have with XP.
          I doubt people effected by the economy will chuck everything just to replace it with similar stuff.

I'm still waiting for the "3D Desktop" where files hung in those clip trees like some people have on top of their desks. Ah jeez! I went through the Windows7 thing and I can't believe 8 is coming out already!! I just learned how to snap windows with the WinKey and Arrows!! It's too much work to keep up!!
          Last edited by MilesAhead; 3 Jun 2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Mar 2006

I can't believe 8 is coming out already!!
            Believe it or not, on October 22 it will be 2 years since Windows 7 released.
            In the video they talked about a year in development still. I am not sure if that includes beta testers too.
            I'm still waiting for the "3D Desktop"
            That would be pretty cool. Maybe something like we saw in Avatar?
            Last edited by PurpleDemon; 3 Jun 2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Hmmmmmmm, remember Virtual Reality was supposed to be the next big thing? We were not going to read web pages but go inside them. Maybe ok for CAD programs but for everyday seems like watching 3D TV all the time. Waste of resources.

Speaking of interface I just found out there's still no good way to change the background color of Computer in Explorer. Even if you use a replacement DLL background image changer thingy, it doesn't work on Computer. It makes it tough to use Fractal Flame wallpaper. The white background seems like glare against the black background desktop image.

Any flame experts know how to get images off the black an onto another color while still looking good?

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

With Kinect and some kind of eye tracking system, the type of 3D interface in movies like Minority Report should be fairly easy implement. Just Kinect alone isn't enough, because it's not accurate enough, but to get a second set of data from eye tracking, that should improve the accuracy.
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎