X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray Penetration Reaches 15% In US

A new report by the NPD Group shows that 15% of all U.S consumers have used a Blu-ray player in the last 6 month, up from 9% a year ago. Hardware sales increased by 16% year on year as well/

To compare, 57% used a DVD player in 2010. The NPD also reported that 49% of all PS3 owners have regularly (defined as at least once a month) played Blu-ray movies on their game console.

But while Blu-ray's growth has largely been a positive for the industry, the increase in revenue has not made up for DVD's continuing losses. The number of buyers for discs in the US dropped by 16 million from 2009 to 2010. But this number would otherwise been much higher had it not been for Blu-ray, it is to be noted.

The report noted that consumers are starting to see Blu-ray purchases as better value, thanks to price drops for hardware and better value movie packs (Blu-ray+DVD combos, for example).

However, compared to DVD's super fast growth, Blu-ray hasn't performed as well. Blu-ray is now in its fifth year, and after the same time, DVDs already had a consumer penetration of 35%, much higher than the 15% for Blu-ray. However, DVD was a revolutionary format, whereas Blu-ray is an evolutionary format, and so it is understandable that less people are upgrading their DVD players to Blu-ray, than people were upgrading VHS to DVD during the early part of the 2000's. The NPD also noted this in their report, but also added the fact that with competing digital distribution, Blu-ray is no doubt helping to extend the life of optical discs. "While Blu-ray may not be the replacement for DVD that many once hoped for, it is certainly adding strength to the physical video-disc market. This added stability is helping to extend the life of discs, even as digital options gain in popularity," NPD's report added.

But at the same time, Blu-ray is actually helping digital distribution, as most Blu-ray players also act as set-top boxes for digital distributors, such as Netflix. The NPD found that 50% of consumers intending to buy a Blu-ray player in the next six month cited access to digital services as a primary reason.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I strongly am w/this finding as I myself have just used my relatively new PS3 slim for Blu-ray, and it really is a no brainer as to buying a very reasonably priced Blu-ray and/or combo, or just a DVD. Also no matter what cloud services a physical disc in your own possesion is way more better. I have my physical DVD collection, and HDD backup. Though am more secure about my hard copy than images on a drive. One for real safe keeping, and the other for quicker acces to for immediate burning etc... I just have to tweak my hard copy and HDD so I have both equally updated. Pita, though it is what it is.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

If not for copy protection and lawsuits, converting a physical collection to a digital one can be as easy as inserting the disc into some kind of standalone, pressing the "copy" button on the remote, and 15 minutes later, it's added to the standalone's storage, connected external storage, or even your networked storage (even if this "rip" process adds new DRM, which the end users doesn't even need to know about). And then, the standalone would act as the frontend to allow you to easily organize and search your movie collection, while you still have the physical discs and boxes as backup (and also for showing off on a bookshelf).

But because movie studios think somehow people will go through the trouble of buying such a machine, hooking it up to their home theatre system, connecting it to the Internet, ripping their discs, and then taking the trouble to copy the movie from the storage device (including decrypting any new DRM that the machine added), rather than just rip the disc on a computer with free software, that because of this, they won't let companies make such a device. It's also because they want to charge people extra money for the digital version of movies.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Funny because any free, or so-called free Digital Copies and/or a digital download say from Amazon, to watch as an added bonus of shopping during the Black friday sales went untouched in my case. I just never got around to either downloading the DRM digital Copy or watching the freebie from Amazon. This thing called life was around.

So my point is that the morons running this whole campaign just don't get it as countless others just don't get it in other areas. In fact they may never get it! Charging xtra money isn't even a factor when you don't even have the freaking time to relax and watch a digital version, free or not.

My mistake was thinking a digital .iso HDD copy was better and quicker so I just didn't even bother w/physical discs for a long minute there. I just recently started physicality again, so I have to go through both lists and even out w/e isn't on a hard copy.

I haven't even sat down to enjoy "Close Encounters of The 3RD Kind" yet and I've been having it since Black Friday brand new 30th year anniversary Blu-ray edition. Go figure.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

I have a cable TV box with PVR functions, and compared to before when it was just a plain set top box, I'm finding I'm recording more and more stuff, and also watching more. Having movies and shows digitally stored and accessible at the press of a button, in my opinion, means I will actually watch more, than compared to say finding the disc, loading the disc and waiting for it to load (after all the annoying unskippable anti-piracy ads). And if people watch more, they may buy more, which is probably why Netflix digital is such a hit (nearly half of the Internet traffic in the evenings in the US are now used by Netflix).

Which is why not allowing people to fully digitize their disc collection is really quite a stupid thing, and does nothing to fight piracy.

I think their biggest fear of a standalone disc->digital machine is that if I buy a disc, then I'll share it with my family and friends for them to "rip" on their standalones, and so a dozen households might only buy one copy of the movie. Or "rip" rentals. But this is already easy to achieve via PC based DVD ripping/copying, and I don't think everyone is doing this even when they can (because, sometimes watching it once is enough with a rental, and nobody wants to share stuff they've purchased with too many people).

If movie studios allow standalone rippers, then I'm happy to put up with some new DRM, such as counting the number of times the same disc has been ripped on different machines, as long as they allow the user to change machines and without incrementing the counter. I doubt this is even necessary, but whatever makes the studios feel safer.

Comment

Working...