Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • venajan
    • Jun 2011

Dvd & vhs

My old VHS is slowly giving up the ghost and so we have decided to move with the times and get one of those DVD/HDD recorder things. The problem is that we have a stack of store bought videos that my kids still want to watch. I'm not looking to start a pirate movie business but I think it fair for me to copy those movies over to DVD for personal use. Does anyone have any suggestions or links that can help? Cheers in advance.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Do note that those old store bought VHS tapes will probably have Macrovision analogue video protection on it, which might make it difficult to make a clean copy. Macrovision can be removed via stabilizer devices, like the Grex one drass mentioned above.

This may count as circumvention of copy protection, but it's debatable whether the DMCA covers this type of circumvention or not (see: http://www.eff.org/cases/macrovision-v-sima).

For personal use though, I'd argue that nobody is going to actually care what you do with your purchase tapes (or discs, for that matter) at home, as long as you don't actually upload or sell the "digitized" copies.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎