Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robertbiferi
    • Jun 2011

thanks but

Now I do get what you told me about how can anyone tell what Field is being displayed first because it goes so fast.

But I do not understand what you and they meen by my imported videos properties have to match my Projects Properties.

When I exprt it to say any type of format I can set the specs myself.
    So what is the projects properties for?

For how it looks in my Preview Screen?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

What I mean is that you should follow the advice you got, specifically:

Now I did go to there Forums and asked about the settings in here.
      They just tell me that I sould just set everything to the same specs as the video I will be importing.
      So if the video had bottom field first, you should encode with bottom field first, as otherwise, your video's motion will be jerky.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• robertbiferi
        • Jun 2011

thanks but

Ok I get it I sould match my project properties to the video I am importing.

So most of the video I get is Analog from a 4. Head VHS VCR.
        and when I capture it it goes to my computer through a Firewire port.

And the program captures it in DV avi uncompressed.

So if my video tape is NTSC then it is on the tape as Top Field First but when the computer captures it it will capture it Bottom Field First am I right?

Is this why I sould set my project properties as Bottom Field first because when I import it it will be Bottom Fild first already?

Or is this not how it work and what you went?

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

As explained above, analog video (including VHS tapes) do not have the concept of field dominance (which field is top), it is only when you capture the analog signal to digital on your computer that the capture program (if it captures in interlaced fashion, and does not deinterlace when capturing) assigns a field order (in the DV AVI file).

Once this field order has been set, you need to work using the same field order, or your video will become jerky.

Comment

• robertbiferi
            • Jun 2011

thanks but

Well because I understand how an Interlaced Image works let me just ask these fue things.

When a CTR screen displays the Interlaced Image it starts to draw the Top Filed first Yes or No?

Back when there was just Interlaced Video and CRT screens am I right that the Video was sent as an Interlaced Image Yes or No?

I do see when I go to save my Video as DV avi the specs for the avi say Bottom Field First.
            So I get this part when it saves my Video I made to DV avi it will save it by taking the Bottom Field First.
            And when this is played back it will play the Bottom Field First Yes or No?

Please just give Yes or No to the above this will help me?

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

1. Not necessarily. It will simply display whatever field it is currently receiving. To an analogue CRT, it doesn't really matter what's top and what's bottom, because it simply needs to display the fields as they are being fed to it.

2. Yes

3. When you play the file on whatever player you use, it will detect the bottom field is first, and then output the signal accordingly. If connected to an interlaced CRT, then it will send out an interlaced signal. It may be that the the bottom field first is sent first, followed by the top field .... but to the CRT, it doesn't really matter which field is displayed first as it is simply displayed one after the other.

Now, if the same player were to output to your progressive monitor, then the player would need to combine the fields into frames (deinterlacing, basically), and then the player would need to know about which field came first, as otherwise, it could end up combining the wrong fields into frames, and that could possibly lead to display problems.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                • Jun 2011

thanks but

Ok what you just told me I get.
                If my video I caputred has Botom Field First then when I play back it will send the Bottom Field out to the CRT screen.

But this is what I don't get what if when I was capturing my video there was Movement in the Top Field but my program captures Bottom Field First.

So would I be right that the Movement that was in the Top Field was never ever captured?

I ask because of this?
                I get when you turn on a CRT TV you will never know were you are coming in on a Video that is Broadcast to you. You will see whatever Field the CRT screen picked up at that time.

But if I make a video a DV avi and I have the CRT screen ON and hit play I will see the starting Field.
                And if the Bottom Field was captured first it will play the Bottom Field first and the Movment in the Top Field will have never been captured so it will not be displayed.

This is what I ment????

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

The fields will be moving so fast, you will never be able to tell which field you're looking at first, and which field(s) you've missed, and missing a field at the start (or at the end) is not going to matter at all (it's only 1/60th of a second).

Comment

• robertbiferi
                    • Jun 2011

thanks but

Ok I do get what you meen that the Top Field and Bottom Field go so fast that you will never see what one is displayed first anyway.

But I still don't understand why DV avi captures video Bottom Field First.
                    What I meen is why does DV avi not capture Top Field first what would happen?

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

It's just the way they do it, it could easily have been top field first, but they chose BFF as a standard and that's that. No real reason for choosing one over the other.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                        • Jun 2011

thanks but

I have 2. things I need help understanding?

Standard none HD TV is 525 Lines.
                        If you put it into Pixal it will be 640x480

Then why is a Standard none HD none Blue Ray DVD 720x480?
                        Why is it 720 wide sould this not be 640 wide?

Some one on the net it is for extra information but what do they meen but I don't get it?

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

The full explanation requires maths and it's perhaps just too much information that, in the end, you don't really need. Basically, all you need to know is that pixels encoded in non square fashion on DVDs. The DVD player will process this and convert it to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio for output to your TV, assuming that's what the content holds (if it's anamorphically encoded widescreen, then it will output 16:9). The difference is that one is the storage aspect ratio (SAR), and the other is the display aspect ratio (DAR), with pixel aspect ratio (PAR - a non square pixel would not have a PAR of 1:1) determining the relationship between the two.

Also note that the notion of pixels is strictly for digital displays, as analogue displays do not use the same concept.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                            • Jun 2011

thanks but

Ok I think I am geting what you are telling me now I just need help with some more things?

When you see specs for TV Display or DH Display they will say

720 p
                            1080 i
                            1080 p

Now I know the i meens Interlace and the p meens Prograsive and you told me how they work.

But 720 is the Hight and 1080 is the Hight they never tell you the Wideth why?

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

720p is just shorthand for 1280x720, either as the display's native display resolution (if it's a digital type of display), or what the maximum resolution it accepts as input. 1080i/p is 1920x1080 (usually when a display is said to be 1080i, it's mostly talking about the maximum resolution acceptable as input, since there are no* interlaced LCD/plasmas - 1080i LCD/plasmas tend to have 720p display resolution)

* well, ALiS plasmas excepted

Comment

• robertbiferi
                                • Jun 2011

thanks but

So if I get what you are telling me is

I I have Cable that is giving me video at 1080i but my TV is an LCD or Plasma it will display it as 720p.

Because LCD and Plasma creens are not Interlaced screens?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎