Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Yes, if your LCD/plasma was a 720p screen. The internal circuitry will de-interlace, and convert to 720p for display, since the LCD/plasma itself is progressive. This is the case for TV/broadcast digital interlaced content.

For 1080/24p film content broadcast at 1080i/60, it's actually not too hard to reconstruct the signal to get back 1080p/24, if it was converted properly to 1080i/60 in the first place. This is because when you turn 24p film into 1080i/60, no frames are lost in the process, in fact, some fields of some frames are used more than once to get 24 up to 60, and so to reverse the process, you simply have to remove the duplicate fields and recombine the top/bottom fields of the same frame.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• robertbiferi
      • Jun 2011

thanks but

Ok I was just going to ask that.

Standard 525 Interlace is 29.97 fps

Is 1080 i 30 fps

And 1080 p 60 fps?

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

NTSC is at 29.97 FPS (it's not exactly 30 to reduce interference issues, so it's more like 30 frames per 1.001 seconds), refreshed at 60 fields per second (or 59.94 to be more exact - 60 Hz/1.001).

1080i is most common at 30 FPS, 60 Hz for NTSC countries.

1080p is more common at 60 FPS for broadcast (again, in NTSC countries), and at 24p for Blu-ray (all regions).

1080i/p can use various FPS, as most displays and broadcast standards support multiple formats (23.976, 24, 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60).

Comment

• robertbiferi
          • Jun 2011

thanks but

1080 Resalation is
          1920x1080
          1920 wide x 1080 heigh

Standard TV we say 525 heigh but it had no number for the Wideth.
          And I get it because CRT screens did not work on Pixale display.
          So how did they know how wide to make the Video the Broadcast?

And is 720p 30 fps at 60 Hz?

Comment

• robertbiferi
            • Jun 2011

thanks but

Soory I sould have ask like this

I we say 1080 for a TV res. we are giving the Height.

So when we say Standard TV is 525 Lines we are giving the Height.
            But they never give the Width for Standard TV.

What is the Height I know it does not go by Pixales but it still must have a Width for the 525 Height?

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Analogue TV and digital pixel based displays work differently. With digital pixel based displays, pixel is an unique and separate entity. Analogue, it's harder to explain. But compare say drawing a line using a graphics program on your computer, you can see exactly how many pixels this line is made of. Now imagine drawing the same line using a pen on a piece of paper ... how many "pixels" does this line have? It might be infinite!

NTSC does use 525 scan lines, but it all depends on the display device (both quality of the display, and the size) as to how many lines actually gets rendered/shown as unique lines (some show less than 300 distinct lines). And since analogue works with scan lines, not pixels, you can only provide the number of scan lines, not the "width" (or how many pixels or lines or columns or "width").

The actual picture itself is transmitted with 4:3 ratio, so to describe the picture using digital resolution (with square pixels), this would be about 640x480.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                • Jun 2011

thanks but

Thanks for geting back to me and I get what you are telling me.
                That standard TV just Broadcast a 4:3 video at 525 Lines.

But what I ment is they would send just the Height of the image and because it was a 4:3 image the TV would ajust the Width is this RIGHT?

Today even though it is Digitla they send booth the Width and Height of the video.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                  • Jun 2011

MP4 help

I have a Match Speed Trio5000 media player.
                  It plays MP3s and all video formats and has a 5. inch LCD screen on it.

So I take my DVDs that I want to put on this player and make them
                  640x480
                  29.97 FPS
                  128 Bit audio at 44.1 kHz stereo.

And I make it MP4 500 kbps
                  MP4 sould give good video picture at Low Bit Rate is this to Low am I pushing it?

Th web tells me if your video has fast motion use no less then 1,000kbps and if there is no fast motion use no less then 500kbps.

Am I ok?

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Are you using H.264 as the video codec?

It's probably a bit too low, but on a 5" screen, you may not be able to tell the difference anyway. I would just encode a section, say a minute from a typical scene, at the settings and see whether it looks okay or not.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                      • Jun 2011

thanks but

Yes I am useing H264

But tell me How Low can you get away with in Bit Rate?
                      It does look good on the 5. inch screen but if I ware to put this file on a Disk and put it on TV what sould the Bit Rate be for good video picture?

I see on the net that if there is no fast movment in the video you can do MP 4. H264 500 bps

And if you have fast movment you need 1000 bps

Tell me what you think?

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

I tend to stay away from "rules of thumb" when it comes to bitrate, since what's in the video can be so different that one setting can produce an excellent picture, while the same setting on another video produces a bad one.

In VidCoder, I prefer to use the "Constant Quality" setting, as that gives me the quality I want without having to worry about bitrate (but file size becomes unpredictable).

But if file size really is important, why not determine the maximum file size you can use (eg. the size of a blank DVD), and then calculate the bitrate from that?

Comment

• robertbiferi
                          • Jun 2011

thanks but

OK here is the thing.

A DVD Movie is about 2GB and my Media Player has a 16GB car on it.

So to make the DVD Movie small and not take up to mutch room on the card so I can get more Movies on it as well I make the Movie like so.

640x480 RES.
                          29.97 Frame Rate.
                          128 kbps at 44.1 kHz Stereo Audio.
                          MP4 H264 Format.
                          500bps Bit Rate.

And it looks ok but I don't know if I ever play it on a TV screen say 20 inch is it going to look ok?

And one more thing?
                          DVDs have 25 frame per sec on the DVD but the DVD has ways to make it 29.97 Frame per sec.
                          Hard Telecene or Soft Telecene.

I know all about how they work.

But if I take a DVD and make it 25 Frame per sec this will keep it the same as how it is on the DVD.

But if I ever so it on a TV set let me gess it will look bad because the other frames will not be there to bring it up to 29.97 Frames per sec.

Because I will not have it incoded like DVDs do with the other frames there ready to be inserted?

Am I right?

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

If you do have a file size requirement, then there's not much you can do other than to put up with the lower quality video. But I do recommend you try the Constant Quality option (higher setting => lower quality, so try something like 25), as this is the most efficient way to encode. Two pass encoding will allow you to set a definite output size and will produce an efficient encode, but it takes much longer. Constant bitrate will produce the worst looking quality (for a given file size) out of these three methods (all available in VidCoder).

PAL DVDs are always at 25 FPS, even for 24 FPS movies (which just gets "sped up" to 25 FPS). Commercial NTSC DVDs have hard/soft telecine as you've described, and so some content is at 23.976 FPS (films) while others (mostly TV broadcasts) are at 29.97 FPS.

You do not really want to convert between PAL and NTSC unless you absolutely have to, so keep the DVD's system the same as the source.

Comment

• robertbiferi
                              • Jun 2011

thanks but

Well even if they put a TV Show on DVD we know TV is 29.97 fps
                              But when they put it on DVD I think they still use 25 fps and just use Flags to tell the Player to ad more frames to bring it up to 29.97 fps.

Am I right on this???

And Video Coder I think I tryed but it had so many fetures were in it it was to mutch for me.

What about the program Any Video Converter is this a good one?
                              I take a lot of DVDs that were TV Show so I like my converter to let me pick if I want to De Interlace it or keep it as is.

Does Any Video Converter let you have this option?

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

No. 25 FPS is only used for PAL regions, it is never used for NTSC. In PAL regions, such as here in Australia, our TVs are at 50 Hz, not 60 Hz (or more precisely, 59.94 Hz).

NTSC Film DVDs are stored at 23.976 and then through the telecine process, output to work on 60 Hz TVs at 29.97 FPS - this is soft telecine. All other NTSC DVDs are stored at 29.97 FPS and outputted as such, or hard telecine.

All PAL DVDs are stored at 25 FPS (which matches nicely with our broadcast standard of 50 Hz), with films sped up to 25 FPS and outputted as such (without pitch correction either).

I haven't used Any Video Converter, but VidCoder is a bit overwhelming at first (just like the Handbrake tool that it is based on, but it's designed to be a bit easier, especially for Blu-ray and DVD to MP4/MKV conversions), but if you follow the guide I wrote to get started (VidCoder Tutorial | Articles - Digital Digest), it will get easier every time you use it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎