Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Xbox 360 Slim Model Coming, New PS3 Model With PS2 Compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

New Xbox 360 Slim Model Coming, New PS3 Model With PS2 Compatibility?

Microsoft is releasing an updated version of the Xbox 360 "Slim" that will run cooler and be cheaper to build.

While no new features, or cosmetic changes are planned, the new Xbox 360 will move from a design where separate CPU/GPU and memory/IO chips are used, to a system-on-a-chip (SoC) design, by combining the CPU and GPU and memory into the same chip, manufactured using a 45nm process. This allows for cheaper manufacturing, and also has the added advantage of requiring less power, producing less heat, and only requiring one heatsink/fan.

And it seems Sony will be releasing some new PS3 models as well, with the model name CECH-3000B, and although no further information is available, the lighter console (from 3kg to 2.6kg) may also mean a similar hardware redesign.

But one interesting inclusion courtesy of a badly translated Japanese product information page may be PS2 compatibility, but it appears it was just that, a bad translation. Running the page through Google Translate appears to state, in badly translated English, "This product, "PlayStation 2" are having a compatibility with proprietary software."

But using the more accurate babylon translator yields something a bit more meaningful, "This product [don't have compatibility with the software for exclusive use of 2] Play Station.]"

So that's a no on PS2 compatibility then, which is a shame since with the PS2 end of life occurring soon, or not soon enough, having PS2 compatibility back would be a great selling point for the PS3.

(Story Source)
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I'm just beginning to dip into the land of Gaming, so even though it might have been a great selling point for the PS3, I would be very tight if after just purchasing this Slim they come out w/anything period.

Admin, do they give you some brake at all if suddenly they do come out w/a newer version of their console soon afterwards or at least pretty near your purchase of the existing model? Good to know this for future reference.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

There's nothing in terms of discounts or rebates, but most new models are fairly similar, with only "behind the scene" changes, such as new hardware (usually to benefit Sony, in lowering production costs, rather than the consumer - although lower noise/heat is a good thing).

I suspect if PS2 support does come out, it will be in software, and I think most PS3s (certainly the Slims) would probably be powerful enough to run the emulator. It will probably be a PSN purchase or something.

The PS3 is the only console without backwards compatibility (not counting the very first models), and considering how popular the PS2 is, it's another one of those bad moves by Sony in the gaming market.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by admin
        The PS3 is the only console without backwards compatibility (not counting the very first models), and considering how popular the PS2 is, it's another one of those bad moves by Sony in the gaming market.
        Bad moves has become common practice with Sony.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎