Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lapidis
    • Jun 2003

Can't update LG GGW-H20L

Today I tried to update my LG GGW-H20L from firmware version Y05 to Y07. The update programm locked itself and I had to reboot the system (Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate Edition by the way).

After reboot the device was in failsafe mode. Tried again with firmware version Y05 and Y07, but to no avail. Because the device called itself GGW-H20N from now on I tried X07. This firmware programm also froze, but after a reboot it showed to be succesful.

I started in failsafe mode again and gave it another try to flash Y07. No success at all. All I could do was to flash X07 again.

On the same machine, I've got another LG device, a GH22LS50. Tried to update that device from T01 to T03 and had no problem at all.

Any hints what I can do to flash the Y07 firmware? I don't use Lightsribe very often, but I bought a system with this feature, so I want a working firmware to support that feature.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

First, try downloading and installing the firmware from the official website here:

LG Product Support for GGW-H20L

If it's the same problem, then did you happen to have a security/anti-virus tool running in the background? Windows Firewall is fine, but a lot of anti-virus tools may prevent firmware flashing, and I always disable them before trying to flash (if you're feeling a bit paranoid, disconnect your Internet connection before shutting down your security tools).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• lapidis
      • Jun 2003

That's exactly what I did! No problem flashing the GH22LS50 but the GGW-H20L is no use. What I don't understand either is, that flashing the X07 fir4mware worked, even if the flashing process didn't work properly. Gave it serval tries with the Y07 firmware, but the device is always in failsafe mode after rebooting.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Did you try running the flash tool in Windows Administrator mode?

Comment

• lapidis
          • Jun 2003

Yes I did. Even tried to run the file in compatibility mode (XP). No change in behavior.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Another suggestion I've read about is to run Windows in safe mode and do the flashing there.

From memory, I think the drive becomes GGW-H20N COR4 when it enters failsafe mode, so that's nothing to be concerned about, but I'm not sure using the GGW-H20N firmware was a wise step.

Have you tried contacting LG support?

Comment

• lapidis
              • Jun 2003

Now I tried it running Windows in safe mode. The update flash program didn't run through, as always. After 15 minutes I terminated the programm using the task manager. After shut down I startet the computer again, and there it was! My LG ist a GGW-H20L again wth firmware version YL07, at last!

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

So it worked? That's strange. Must be a problem with LG's updater, but glad your problem has been solved

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎