Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pilotwings_64
    • Mar 2008

x264 Gamma issue

I'm having a problem with gamma on x264 videos. I'm using handbrake to create these videos.

I found a webpage (How to Fix the H.264 Gamma Brightness Bug in Quicktime FOREVER | Byteful Travel) which describes a quicktime plugin that will fix this issue by keeping the gamma values the same as those of the orginal video. The problem is I'm using a Win7 and this plugin is for OSX.

Does anyone know of any programs or plugins that will do what this plugin does? I'm specifically interested in the fact that it supposedly does not touch the gamma values.

Thanks
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I found this thread on the ever helpful doom9 forum that may be of help to you:

Using x264 to set the gamma tag correctly for QuickTime playback? - Doom9's Forum

The jist of it is that the bug is really just a QuickTime bug for generated .mov files, so it doesn't really apply to Handbrake generated MP4/MkV.

One suggestion is to add the --fullrange option to the x264 command line. Not sure how an optional command line argument can be added to Handbrake, but for VidCoder (which is an alternative GUI for Handbrake), you can do it in Encoding Settings -> Advanced.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Pilotwings_64
      • Mar 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never used the x264 command line before. Do I just paste --fullrange anywhere in the field?

Thanks

Comment

• Pilotwings_64
        • Mar 2008

I may have just found my own answer. --fullrange on

I'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎