Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Piracy Firm AiPlex: Requesting Bloggers To Remove Articles Seen As 'Negative'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Anti-Piracy Firm AiPlex: Requesting Bloggers To Remove Articles Seen As 'Negative'

Anti-piracy firm AiPlex made the news last year when, in an interview, the firm allegedly confirmed the use of less than savoury tactics when it came to fighting online piracy, including the use of denial-of-service attacks on websites offering pirated content.

"In such cases (when the web host or website owner does not take action), we flood the website with requests, which results in database error, causing denial of service as each server has a fixed bandwidth capacity," Girish Kumar, managing director of AiPlex, is alleged to have said in the overly candid interview.

But following widespread public outrage, and hacktivist group Anonymous launching attacks on AiPlex's web properties (a first in a series of attacks again anti-consumer/pro-copyright organisations, which eventually led to involvement by the FBI), Mr Kumar forthrightly denied the company was involved in any DoS attacks, which he describes as "illegal activities". But news website TorrentFreak, which first broke the AiPlex story, followed up on the denials and interviewed several Torrent website owners who claim that they had been victims of AiPlex's "threats" and "attacks".

With the AiPlex incident practically forgotten a year later, the company has kicked the hornet's nest by sending out mass emails requesting bloggers take down articles on the incident. The take-down notice, one of which was received by Digital Digest for one of our Weekly News Roundup editions from last year, states that statements made by Mr Kumar were "mis-represented".

"This has reference to the below article on your webpage, we kindly request you to deactivate the link as the article is defaming the company’s image & its prospects. It was mis-interpreted by the news agency which was blown out of proportion by some of the pirates across the globe. And subsequently we have to face damages/threats from the pirates & undergo immense losses due to their attack on our servers/websites etc," the AiPlex sent email states.

Digital Digest has offered AiPlex the opportunity to post any clarifications in regards to the originally posted story, clarifications that we will post verbatim to help clear up any "mis-representations", if any exist. AiPlex has not yet responded to our offer.

And TorrentFreak reports that, despite being the source of the original story, they've yet to receive a take-down notice from AiPlex.

But whatever their intentions were, AiPlex is back in the news once again. But once again, it's for all the wrong reasons.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

LOL, so much for freedom of speech...

I can make companies look bad all I want and I'm protected under the first amendment
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      LOL, so much for freedom of speech...

I can make companies look bad all I want and I'm protected under the first amendment
      That's not exactly a good thing though.
      In my opinion, it is an abuse of the 1st Amendment when it is used to spread misinformation.
      Not saying that I believe AiPlex is right in this case, just saying that misuse due to misrepresentation is still protected, unfortunately.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Well yeah, I agree. But saying a company is evil because they're DDOSing websites is more or less true...
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

But saying a company is evil because they're DDOSing websites
          allegedly

Although TorrentFreak seems to have talked to enough torrent site webmasters to suggest that what Mr Kumar alleged said the first time, that AiPlex was involved in DoS style attacks, was true.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

Well yeah, I agree. But saying a company is evil because they're DDOSing websites is more or less true...
            I'm not questioning this case..I fully believe they did the DDoS attacks and deserve the negative feedback.

My irritation came from your comment of:
            "I can make companies look bad all I want and I'm protected under the first amendment"
            It came across as you were taking pleasure in the ability to do so unwarranted. Maybe I just took it wrong.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎