Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chief4life11
    • Mar 2012

Daughter's 1st Birthday Video File Corrupt

I was videoing my daughter's first birthday and my phone (HTC EVO 4g) shut off. The file is a .3gp file and shows up on my phone and on my computer when I upload it, but nothing will play it. I have tried many different players, and several different video converters, but I cannot play it. Does anyone have an idea of how I could repair the file or anything I could try. Thanks.
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

but nothing will play it.
    Including your phone won't play it?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I did a quick search online, and there doesn't seem to be any really good way to fix corrupt 3GP files. It's very likely the header of the file wasn't written properly when the phone shut off unexpectedly.

The only thing I can think of is to download the VLC player and see if it at least plays partially (VLC's file handling seems a bit more robust to me):

vlc-2.0.0-win32.exe <- VideoLAN (VLC) Downloads | Software - Digital Digest
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• chief4life11
        • Mar 2012

That is correct. My phone won't play it either. I tried VLC and that wouldn't work.

Someone on another forum tried to put a new header on it, from a different file fromt eh same phone. This gave me some video, but no audio. Also, the video came out in slo-mo.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The header thing was the next thing I was going to suggest. Can you download and run the MediaInfo software on this "repaired" file, and upload the screenshot of it here? If you can also upload a screenshot for a video file that works perfectly, that would be good too, to compare the two.

Comment

• chief4life11
            • Mar 2012

Sorry for extra posts, but it won't let me do a link in my post and I wanted to provide a link to the files for you, so I am trying to get over 10 posts.

Comment

• chief4life11
              • Mar 2012

For some reason I can't post the links right now. I will try back another day. Sorry for all of the bad posts, but I wanted to post some links to the files, so you could help me fix the broken video, as it is quite important to me. This is what I have done:

"Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't seem to get mediainfo to work to give me the info that I know you are wanting. I have done it before, but I can't figure it out. I instead uploaded all the files to dropbox, so you could possibly look at them. If you would rather, instead, you could give me instructions on how to use the mediainfo, and I could try that again. Sorry also for the delay in reposting, my wife and I just had our second child."

I was also going to put up links, but I can't post them yet, because of the forum rules, so I will wait and try to post them soon. Thanks for the help, and again, sorry for the posts, I just needed the post count up so I could post the links.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Just post the links with an extra space after the "www", or somewhere in the middle (for example: www. youtube.com), that should work (sorry about all this, but it's needed to prevent link spammers).

Comment

• chief4life11
                  • Mar 2012

Definitely understandable to prevent spammers.

I tried adding 2 spaces, but it still wouldn't help. I'll try to post a few more times, and see if it will let me post.

Comment

• chief4life11
                    • Mar 2012

I'll log on tomorrow, and try again to see what happens.

Comment

• chief4life11
                      • Mar 2012

Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't seem to get mediainfo to work to give me the info that I know you are wanting. I have done it before, but I can't figure it out. I instead uploaded all the files to dropbox, so you could possibly look at them. If you would rather, instead, you could give me instructions on how to use the mediainfo, and I could try that again. Sorry also for the delay in reposting, my wife and I just had our second child.

This is the fixed file that someone else edited the header. (it has the video, but in slomo, and no audio)

This is a working file from the same phone camera that was uploaded to my computer (just a dark shot of my floor)

This is the broken video, run through a video repair utility located at (Grau GbR Hardware & Software Solutions - HD Video Repair Utility)

This is the broken file uploaded directly from my phone.

This is the broken file that was downloaded to my computer from my phone (I don't know if it would give any good reference info so I just put it up here, it may be useless to you)

This is a working file uploaded directly from my phone (again, it may just be reference, or may be useless to you)

Thanks again for any and all help with this. This is pretty much my last ditch effort, so any thing you can do is appreciated.

Obviously I added a return after the second t in http: and just before the com in .com. Thanks.
                      Last edited by admin; 28 Mar 2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

The best I can do is to restore the video's playback speed, but it looks quite difficult to recreate the original audio, and will have to go back to the original broken file (as opposed to trying to get it from the header edited version). If you want, I can upload the fixed framerate video somewhere.

Do you have a link to the forum where you got the edited header version from?

Comment

• chief4life11
                          • Mar 2012

Thanks for helping. Here is the forum I was posting in, that I was able to get the somewhat "fixed" file.

htt
                          p://forum.videohelp.
                          com/threads/334746-Cell-Phone-Shut-Down-During-Video-and-Video-Won-t-Play

Any help is surely appreciated. If you could post what you have done somewhere, I would love to download that. Thanks again for any and all help as this video is surely important to me.

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Here's the video with the fixed framerate. I tried to do the best I could, to guess what the framerate was (your other videos are 60FPS, but that's too fast, so I chose 25 FPS which seems about right):

When I have more time, I'll have a go at copying the header and see if I can get the audio out as well.

Comment

• chief4life11
                              • Mar 2012

Thanks. That looks great. Much better than the slow-mo. I look forward to when you get the time to see if you can get the audio working. I really appreciate all of the help.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎