Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramasama
    • May 2012

MP4 corrupted data on PS3

Hey, I'm new in the community and I've been having some problems trying to watch some videos on my PS3, here's the thing:

I have 20 MP4 videos made by the same person, they all look perfect on my computer, but when I try to watch them on my PS3, some of the videos are shown as "corrupted data". I started to check the video properties and I found out that the "corrupted" videos have an impossible frame rate. The videos that are ok, have 23 f/s, but the corrupted ones have 237 f/s or 628 f/s... etc. If I try to dowload them again, they always show the same number.

I thought that this is weird, because on the pc they look fine, so I checked this properties on mediainfo, and every video have a frame rate of 23.976 f/s. So I thought, all the videos are fine, it's just windows that can't read frame rate info correctly.

So... any recommendations? I don't know anything about videos and codecs, I'm just starting to learn, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Which method did you use to transfer the files to the PS3? I would try actually physically copying them over, as opposed to using a home network/DLNA streamer like PS3 Media Server, as will confirm the issue is with the file themselves, and not Windows (or your streaming software).

If they still don't play, then chances are, they haven't been encoded in a way that's compatible with the PS3. If so, can you post a screenshot of MediaInfo, or type the listed video and audio specs?

If they do play when directly placed on the PS3, and does not when played through some kind of streaming software, then that could indicate some kind of codec problem. Are you using Windows 7, and which player do you use on your computer to play these MP4s?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ramasama
      • May 2012

Originally Posted by admin
      Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Which method did you use to transfer the files to the PS3? I would try actually physically copying them over, as opposed to using a home network/DLNA streamer like PS3 Media Server, as will confirm the issue is with the file themselves, and not Windows (or your streaming software).

If they still don't play, then chances are, they haven't been encoded in a way that's compatible with the PS3. If so, can you post a screenshot of MediaInfo, or type the listed video and audio specs?

If they do play when directly placed on the PS3, and does not when played through some kind of streaming software, then that could indicate some kind of codec problem. Are you using Windows 7, and which player do you use on your computer to play these MP4s?
      Thanks!

Well, you are right. I'm using a pendrive to transfer the files to my PS3, so it's not windows. Since I can't post any links or pictures yet I'll write what video properties and MediaInfo say for a "corrupted" file.

Windows Properties:

Video:
      Width: 848
      Height: 480
      data speed: 870 kbps
      total bits speed: 987 kbps
      frame rate: 239 frames/second
      Audio:
      bits speed: 117 kbps
      channels: 2 (stereo)
      sound sample speed: 44 kHz

MediaInfo:

container and general information
      MPEG-4 (Base Media) 169 MB, 23m 52s
      1 video stream: AVC
      1 audio stream: AAC

First video stream
      870 Kbps, 848*480 (16:9), at 23.976 fps, AVC (High@L5.1) (CABAC / 5 Ref Frames)

First Audio stream
      117 Kbps, 44.1 kHz, 2 channels, AAC (LC)

The other corrupted files have the same MediaInfo properties but the frame rate in windows varies from 237, 147, 624 and 932 for example.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I think the problem is with your AVC level, as the PS3 only supports level 4.2 (although some testing shows 4.1 is a bit more compatible).

Luckily, this is easily changed without the need to re-encode the video. Download this tool first. I would then recommend that you make copies of all of the MP4 files you want to change as backup first. Then load in each of your MP4 files into the tool, and change the level to 4.1.

With any luck, the changed MP4 files will now play. If not, you'll have to re-encode them I'm afraid (I'd recommend using VidCoder).
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ramasama
          • May 2012

Originally Posted by admin
          I think the problem is with your AVC level, as the PS3 only supports level 4.2 (although some testing shows 4.1 is a bit more compatible).

Luckily, this is easily changed without the need to re-encode the video. Download this tool first. I would then recommend that you make copies of all of the MP4 files you want to change as backup first. Then load in each of your MP4 files into the tool, and change the level to 4.1.

With any luck, the changed MP4 files will now play. If not, you'll have to re-encode them I'm afraid (I'd recommend using VidCoder).
          I tried the first thing but it changed nothing.
          So I tried using VidCoder but somehow it crashes when I load a video...
          I'm going to try downloading it again, but while I'm doing it can you recommend me another video encoder software? Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎