Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NE5
    • Aug 2006

Google Chrome problems ?

my PC slows down when I am looking at multiple web pages.

I'm using google chrome. A few weeks ago, my BT modem crashed, so I re-booted it.

Since then, when I've had the PC switched on for an hour or more, and when I've got a few different web pages, the whole PC slows down. I re-booted the modem again and it cured it for a while, but after a while slowed down again.

I have run avast and malwarebytes a few times each, I have no virus or malware.

Any advice would be appreciated. The PC isn't new but isn't that old either, the spec should be fine, it has been fast enough for a long while now.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I would try running Firefox or any browser that only runs one exe. Use it for a bit with multiple tabs open. See if the PC slows down. If it does, then it's probably a network issue.
    In that case I would try this free app:
    SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

When you got the crash it may have corrupted some settings for TCP/IP

If it doesn't, then I'd be inclined to look at chrome.

You could try one of the snapshots here:

and see if it works better. I advise downloading the Win32 zip and is does not need install. Before running it, save your current browser data. Depending on what Windows you have it might be in: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Chromium

I also back up my current chromium portable folder. That way if the new snapshot has a big bug I just copy the old files back into the chrome folders. It's important to back up your local data because if the snapshot is a newer version and you try to go back to the old exe, you could get an error about data not being from the same version(the newer version put settings in there the old version can't figure out.) You avoid those problems by copying the folders.

I often check out the new snapshots and find many very stable. I've been running 20.0.1094.0 snapshot as my main browser for months.

The other "fix all" solution would be if you have a restore point from before the crash. If it's a registry settings issue that may fix it.

Comment

• NE5
      • Aug 2006

I don't understand that commondatastorage snapshot, what does it mean ?

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Nevermind. Just so happens there's a new chromium release here. I'm using it now. Seems ok. It's version 21.x so make sure to back up your AppData chromium folder before running it.

Download Chromium 21.0.1156.0 Free - Open source web browser for a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience the Internet - Softpedia

Download the zip. It can be unzipped to an empty folder. It should pick up your current settings and bookmarks.. esp if you have bookmark sync enabled.

Just if you are not aware, chromium is the open source that chrome is based on. It's the same except it doesn't have some of the tracking mechanisms that chrome has. Every chrome extension I tried in chromium worked. It's not some offshoot, but the root of the chrome browser.

Comment

Working...