Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Video Streaming Losing Up To $1 Billion A Year?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Amazon Video Streaming Losing Up To $1 Billion A Year?

Netflix's CEO Reed Hastings believes that Amazon is losing anywhere from $500 million and $1 billion a year on content licensing costs with its Amazon Prime instant streaming service, which Hastings also says will one day provide real competition to Netflix's own streaming service.

Hastings says that Netflix are aware of Amazon's licensing costs because both companies have recently competed head to head for exclusivity deals. Netflix themselves will spend more than $2.1 billion on licensing costs next year.

Amazon's Prime Instant Streaming service is an all-you-can-eat service that costs $79 per year, which subscribers getting access to over a hundred thousand TV episodes and movies. Subscribers also get free 2-day shipping, and Kindle owners also get access to the Kindle Owners' Lending Library for free book rentals from a library of more than 145,000 titles.

Netflix's service, limited to streaming videos only, has a greater library of content, and costs $7.99 per month, and is compatible with more devices (for example, on Android systems, Amazon's streaming service is only available on its own Kindle range of tablets). In terms of unique titles, analysts currently believe Netflix has twice as many titles as Amazon.

However, recent Internet usage stats show that Netflix usage now accounts for as much as 33% of all net traffic, while Amazon is a fair distance behind at only 1.8%. A recent survey also showed that Amazon's streaming video market share is at 22%, compared to Netflix's commanding 82%.

So while Amazon still has some ways to go before it can offer real competition to Netflix, Hastings says the company isn't resting on its laurels. "Amazon is the best competitor we've ever faced," Hastings noted.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Amazon has far more popular titles, I tried Netflix free for 30 days and literally couldn't find a single movie I wanted to watch.

All my favorites and anything I was interesting in seeing for the first time weren't there. And these aren't even new movies, I'm talking ones that have been out for years.

Netflix had an alright TV show selection, but even then - I started watching Futurama using it and they're more than a year out of date in their selection.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Yeah, the TV selection on Amazon is pretty limited - it's definitely one area they can improve on, but the movie section has grown pretty quickly these last 6 month or so

Comment

• PurpleDemon
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2006

We have Netflix and play it stream it through our Blu Ray player. Amazon is very limited on having that installed in the assortment of streaming options on steaming media players.
        I am just limited for the Amazon movies through my PC, so it not a great option to me as many other people have learned as well.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Only Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players seem to support Amazon at the moment, some Samsungs had it, but it was removed some time ago and never added back in for whatever reason. I use my PS3 to do it, and it works fairly well, and also on the Kindle Fire too (I suspect the Amazon app will make its way to most other devices, but non Amazon Android devices will probably remain a no go zone for the short term).

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎