Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howardnwhite
    • Apr 2013

Help with HDV tape capture please

Hi. Have just started thinking about HD as I need my next project to be in hidef. Not done it before, as there has not been the demand and customers have been happy with standard. I film with Sony cameras, and did a test yesterday with one set to HDV 1080i. Managed to fiolm okay, and capture okay for the editing program, also set to HD1080i. All seems fine, apart from not showing on the preview screen during capture. No big deal here, it showed fine on the editing window afterwards. My query is just that the ten minute filming showed as MPEG and was nearly 2GB. It also showed as 1080 by whatever. Seemed a bit small to me! My standard def is captured as avi and comes at about 13GB an hour, so I was expecting more size from the hi def! I love using the full format for standard definition to preserve quality, and the only compression is when I am ready to say 'make a DVD please'. So, is what happenned to me normal for HD capture via firewire from tape, or am I getting an avoidable compression at the capture stage? I dont care how big the file size of my raw footage is, and my hard drive, processor, etc can handle it. It looked fine for me, but I only saw it on the editing window. Also, I am mildly visually impaired, so I might not see subtle differences that the sighted customer would. The editing program is Adobe Premiere and yes I set it to HD. I just want to know if I got it right. Dont know much about complex stuff so try and avoid words like 'interlace' unless essential! I know what capturing the full SD is like, and expected HD to be the same but bigger files. Thanks
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎