X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray Disc Sales Rose 10% in 2012

A new report from the Entertainment Merchants Association (EMA) shows that Blu-ray spending rose 10% in 2012, contributing to the first annual rise in home entertainment consumer spending in seven years.

While total consumer spending on home entertainment increased by only 0.25% in 2012 to $18.5 billion, Blu-ray and digital delivery saw marked increases.

Despite falling disc prices, now at $19.97 per Blu-ray title, Blu-ray still managed to post a 10% spending increase thanks to greater unit sales. Blu-ray sales helped to offset at least a portion of the declining DVD business, as DVD unit sales were down 7.2% for 2012 according to a recent Nielsen report, with Blu-ray unit sales up 22.6% by comparison.

The report also found that while the number of disc buyers dropped in 2012, the people who do continue to buy discs bought more of them: the top 10% of disc buyers bought on average $527 worth of content in 2012.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm thinking a good amount of this is due to Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs. I love those myself, I never buy Blu-Ray only or DVD only if there's a choice.

Since after all, we only have one Blu-Ray player in my house, and DVDs on our other non-HDTVs. I'm somewhat annoyed that some studios are starting to not do the combo packs anymore, as then I have to decide whether it's really worth owning in HD or not. I just had to pay $32 for a Blu-Ray/DVD combo of Oz the Great and Powerful which is absurd considering most new-release Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs were $20 last year. (At least the first-week sales, before the price went back up)
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I don't think I've bought a DVD-only package since 2011, and that was only because it was something really cheap like $5.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...