X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Music Piracy Down by 80% Thanks to Spotify, New Report

Music piracy is Norway has been reduced by more than 80%, and film and TV piracy down by half, according to a new report. And it has all to do with legal alternatives like Spotify and Netflix.

The new report by Norwegian research body Ipsos MMI looked at piracy rates in 2008 and 2012, and found a dramatic decrease in illegal downloads in these 4 years.

Music piracy soared to 1.2 billion downloads in 2008 just in Norway alone, but is now at a manageable 210 million in 212, a sixth of what it used to be. Film piracy went from 125 million downloads to 65 million, while TV downloads were down to 55 million from 135 million.

Norway's recent introduction of stronger copyright laws might have influenced results somewhat, but according to the report, the decline is mostly down to the emergence of legal alternatives like Spotify.

"When you have a good legitimate offer, the people will use it," explained Olav Torvund, a former law professor at the University of Oslo.

To confirm the important role of market-led solutions to the piracy problem, the report surveyed users asking if they used the popular music streaming platform Spotify. 47% of users said that they did, and amazingly, half of these users said they paid for a premium Spotify account.

"There is no excuse for illegal copying, but when you get an offer that does not cost too much and is easy to use, it is less interesting to download illegally," added Torvund.

The introduction of Netflix in October of 2012 to Norway could see film and TV piracy rates drop even further when the statistics for 2013 are available.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

Just proves to give people what they are wanting at a reasonable price and you win. These numbers are proof.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Still waiting on a legal lossless music downloading service

Some independent labels (The FuMP, DFTBA, etc) offer it, I've bought several albums from them in FLAC, but I'm thinking more of the big name stuff.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
        Still waiting on a legal lossless music downloading service

Some independent labels (The FuMP, DFTBA, etc) offer it, I've bought several albums from them in FLAC, but I'm thinking more of the big name stuff.
        You do have to admit, things are changing even slowly, but changing for what the consumer wants too.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

I dunno about that, look at "mastered for iTunes"... it sounded like a great idea, having studios make 24-bit recordings, but they still get compressed down to 256kbps AAC which is far from perfect.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• CP1381
            • Aug 2013

Do the artists even notice the difference between spotify and illegal downloading? An artist earns about 0.4 cents per play (I'm not sure whether that's before or after the label takes it's cut, but I suspect after).

It's the reason Thom Yorke took the Atoms for Peace album off Spotify.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎