X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Game of Thrones Piracy Better Than Winning Emmy, Says Time Warner CEO

Time Warner's CEO Jeff Bewkes told investors during an earnings call that Game of Thrones's piracy record is better than winning an Emmy due to piracy's "tremendous word of mouth thing".

In words that may surprise other industry leaders, Bewkes argued that the Internet buzz generated by pirates and paying customers alike is what keeps shows like Game of Thrones, and networks like HBO, alive. Time Warner owns the HBO network, home to popular shows like Thrones, and other oft pirated shows like Boardwalk Empire and True Blood.

In fact, the word of mouth generated by piracy is a driving factor behind getting new paying subscribers to premium channels like HBO, according to Bewkes.

"We've been dealing with this for 20, 30 years - people sharing subs, running wires down the backs of apartment buildings. Our experience is that it leads to more paying subs. I think you're right that Game of Thrones is the most pirated show in the world and that's better than an Emmy," Bewkes said to investors.

It's not the first time that people involved with the hit show have openly expressed their indifference to the piracy problem. Director David Petrarca once said that piracy actually helps the show, by generating the unquantifiable and elusive "buzz". Others involved with the show, and even the author of the books, have also accepted the piracy rate as a compliment.

For now at least, the piracy isn't hurting the bottom line, with Game of Thrones being the main attraction at HBO these days. And according to HBO's programming chief Michael Lombardo, the piracy problem is not hurting disc sales either.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • AW2567
    • Jul 2013

Haha that's a very hip attitude by a businessman but he's sort of right about the 'word of mouth thing' when it comes to TV shows even though it's still illegal..

Comment

• CP1381
      • Aug 2013

even though it's still illegal..
      I imagine like most businessmen, he's less concerned with breaking the law than he is about turning a profit. But it is interesting to hear someone in his position say this. I can't imagine the film/music industry being so casual about the whole thing.

Comment

Working...