• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

3D Glasses Technology

Hey guys,

I was just curious about the different passive 3D technologies used in movie theaters.

I was under the impression that they are all just polarized plastic. However, IMAX theaters told me their glasses were "different" and weren't the same as the normal cinemas.

I wear glasses normally, so having to wear a SECOND pair of glasses always gets on my nerves. As a result, I got something like this:

I tried them out at an IMAX theater, and much to my dismay they didn't work. But more on that in a bit.
    Yesterday I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which is not in IMAX... so I saw the "normal" one in "RealD 3D". I took along the same pair of clip-on 3D lenses, and for that projection, they worked perfectly. So much more comfortable than having a separate pair of glasses on my head.

Now, what I noticed when I was at the IMAX is that the "RealD" glasses are basically inverted for IMAX. As in, if I took the clip-on lenses and hold them up to my eyes backwards (so the left and right were reversed, but also looking front -> back of the plastic instead of back -> front), the picture appeared fine. Wearing them normally, the picture didn't appear blurry, but the 3D was inverted, so everything looked super strange since instead of coming out of the screen, it was sinking back into it (similar to how a Nintendo 3DS looks)

It might be worth pointing out that the IMAX I went to was a digital IMAX, not the traditional film-based kind. Sadly most movies aren't being distributed as film anymore leaving me no choice... we have a much bigger screen IMAX downtown but they only show films that are distributed as film. They have different glasses than the digital ones, to boot.

I just found it rather strange that the IMAX glasses are essentially "backwards" versions of the RealD ones. Did the IMAX corporation do that just to mess with people so you couldn't sneak into the theater with your own 3D glasses? (it's pretty hard to sneak into a 3D movie unless you've gotten some glasses beforehand...)

Or are they actually different and I just happened to get lucky that they "worked" by flipping them around? Of course, I couldn't clip them to my glasses that way so I had to hold them up to my face the entire time which was super-annoying, but I digress.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I'm pretty sure the different standard of glasses are just for commercial reasons. It was the same for in-home use active glasses too (I think I remember the Panasonic glasses will work on Samsung TVs, but again only if you switch the left/right by wearing it upside down), until the companies got together and unified the standard.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Passive 3D TVs should work with those RealD glasses, right? I was sure the main reason they avoided making TVs like that is they wanted to sucker you into buying more expensive glasses and not just keeping the ones you get from cinemas.

Do you happen to know if the specs for RealD vs. IMAX 3D are published anywhere? I want to know if my hunch that the IMAX ones are basically just inverted RealD glasses is true. If so, I might be able to get some clip-ons manufactured for me if I ask them to flip the plastic around before pressing it
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
        Passive 3D TVs should work with those RealD glasses, right? I was sure the main reason they avoided making TVs like that is they wanted to sucker you into buying more expensive glasses and not just keeping the ones you get from cinemas.

Do you happen to know if the specs for RealD vs. IMAX 3D are published anywhere? I want to know if my hunch that the IMAX ones are basically just inverted RealD glasses is true. If so, I might be able to get some clip-ons manufactured for me if I ask them to flip the plastic around before pressing it
        I think some RealD glasses will work with some passive 3D TVs, but the effect may not be as good as with the factory glasses.

As for using one glasses for another cinema, this may be a bit tricky, and I've read somewhere that IMAX themselves use different glasses for different cinemas (could be outdated info though). Maybe it's easier to just get another pair of clip-ons for IMAX, so you can watch at both cinemas without having to use their glasses.

Something like this?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Yeah, that was my plan, however I didn't realize they made special ones for IMAX. I'll give those a try!

How would factory passive glasses be any different than RealD glasses? I just don't get how they differ - polarized plastic is one of the simplest concepts ever, and the fact that these companies flip them odd which ways just to prevent you from using another company's version is incredibly stupid IMO. I can understand active ones being totally different from passive, but polarization is polarization...

--Edit--

I notice the ones you linked say "0/90" and have mostly positive reviews, while there is another pair that's called "45/135". I wonder if that references the angle the polarization is at? I got mine on eBay so there was no such number, but now I'm curious.
          Last edited by drfsupercenter; 12 Aug 2014, 06:14 AM.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

To be honest, I have no idea. I think different cinema/projectors user different angles or something, so you have to get glasses that match maybe.

Comment

• dromax2014
              • Sep 2014

yes, i met the same problem as i'm also nearsighted. so each time when i watched the 3D films in movie theaters, i need to wear two glasses, To be frank, it's not comfortable and my eyes are tired and dizzy after the end. But off the 3D glasses, the movie screen is doubled.
              but there is a not very new technology may solve this problem, the glasses-free 3D technology which first be developed by Philip, and now is expanded. we can easily enjoy the 3D movies without glasses.Currently, the glasses-free 3D has spread in the main areas of some electronic products covered, the glasses-free 3D products now on the market are glasses-free 3D mobile phone, glasses-free 3D TV, the glasses-free 3D notebook, glasses-free 3D camera and so on.

Comment

• James07
                • May 2016

Nice Information!

Comment

• digitech
                  digitech
                  • Jul 2016

agreed with james very detailed and worth a read i will deffo link to this part of the forum

Comment

• Winwin
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2015

Thank you for this post!! Any idea where to get them?

Comment

• Winwin
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2015

couldn't find it on Amazon. Maybe Ebay?

Comment

• bebobanda
                        • May 2019

I was sure the main reason they avoided making TVs like that is they wanted to sucker you into buying more expensive glasses and not just keeping the ones you get from cinemas.

Comment

• Dutton
                          • Sep 2019

Better glasses than those should come with the TV if they're serious about it.

Comment

• mrgrtt123
                            • Sep 2019

I can see a lot of great varieties all over the internet.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎