Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shrunk
    • Apr 2016

DVD Shrink Problem

When I try to Re-author a disc, and select Set Start/End Frames on a Title (movie), I get a real headache happening with some discs. If I choose a section of frames that totals something random like 15:00, and I play the VTS_01_1 file that returns to me, the time counter reads anything but 15:00. It reads 3:22 or 12:48 or 29:05. And as I sit and watch, the playback jumps over parts of the file I copied.

The rhyme or reason this happens is completely unknown to me. But it happens on a ton of MGM discs as well as some older Paramount's, like Rosemary's Baby and a very much newer Universal title, "4 Movie Midnight Marathon Pack."

It's ridiculous, irritating, and I can't figure out what I have to do to fix this / change this, assuming it's a setting in the program somewhere.
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

I suppose (but I'm not sure) it's caused by the new form of copy protection. It consists in very small cells at the very beginning of the movie. Some of these cells are unreadable and are skipped with cell commands. The real movie begins after that junk cells. The time codes of these cells are completely butchered so that the user sees a logical time when the real movie starts. DVD Shrink is very old and it doesn't know that form of copy protection. It's probably why it can't "understand" how the time codes near the beginning of the movie are working.

You should try to get rid of these bad cells with PgcEdit. Copy the DVD on HDD with a good decrypter. Open the HDD folder with PgcEdit, then double-click on the movie PGC in the left pane to open the PGC Editor. Locate the very tiny cells (usually less than 2 seconds) at the beginning of the movie. Preview the first long cell to be sure that it's really the beginning of the movie. Then use Remove Cells to remove the first tiny cells. Save. Use DVD Shrink now. It should work.
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• mcven71
      • May 2016

dvd shrink problem

I have a problem with dvd shrink. when i try to back up a full disk or main movie, after re-authoring the dvd doesn't show movie's chapters in the right order. only in the pc is ok. in any other dvd device the movie chapters are in a disorder. what do you think is the problem?

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

Some titles are "not-one_sequential". That means that they are made of several PGCs, that should be chained at play time by means of VM commands. They can also be made to be played in random or shuffle order. That may explain why DVDShrink cannot re-order the parts correctly. But usually, you encounter that kind of title only in games, slide shows or similar, but not in standard movies. Therefore, I don't know if it's the case of your DVD. The problem can also be caused by a new form of copy protection, but I don't think so.

If you want more info, load your DVD in PgcEdit, select the title in the left pane, and use the menu Info -> PGC. Copy and paste the content of the dialog here. I'll try to help...
        r0lZ
        PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
        Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• digitech
          digitech
          • Jul 2016

Thanks lord of digital video you have got this on the spot as said hit the nail on the head

Comment

• kimraver
            • Oct 2017

Nice thread thanks for sharing your opinion.

Comment

• berdman
              • Apr 2006

how do I find out why shrink won't shrink "The Hitman's Bodyguard" to fit on a standard dvd blank

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎