Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DVDLAB] Language detection of ROOT menus groups and sub-menu of different languages

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirous
    • Jul 2015

[DVDLAB] Language detection of ROOT menus groups and sub-menu of different languages

Hello everyone, I would like to know how to do the language detection of the menus ROOT, I explain, there are dvd's with menus of different languages, for example a group of menus and submenus in Spanish, another group of menus and submenus in Spanish, another Group of menus and submenus in Portuguese and so on.

By which when inserting the DVD to the DVD player, this in turn whatever the language configuration, this detects it and the corresponding menu and submenus are displayed.

I was doing the topology structure of the DVD in the DVDLAB Pro, which I do not know how it would really be, in this case I did so:

"The image StructureLanguajeDVD.jpg, below the content"

Here only the connection came to a VMG COMMAND or as can be a movie or a VTS / VMG, but if the problem is also the Title Button and Menu Button, as it would be in that aspect in the programming.

But hey, I hope that help me that problem. Sorry My Bad English XD

Note: if you can not program in e DVDLAB Pro, in PGCEdit how would it be? ...
    Attached Files
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

I can't explain how to do it with DVDLab, but in some commercial DVDs, the same menu is authored several times in different languages. Each part is called a "LU" (Language Unit). A specific language code ("en", "es", "pt") is assigned to each LU. When the DVD is played, the player uses automatically the LU in the preferred language of the user (set in the preferences of the player and stored during the playback in SPRM(0)) or the first LU if no LU exists in the preferred language of the user. If the DVD is correctly authored that way, there is no need to add VM commands to call the right LU. Everything is automatic.

You can also author all menus in all languages in the same LU, or even in different VTSM domains, but of course, in that case, you will have to add the commands to jump to the correct PGC (in the right language) according to the content of SPRM(0), using commands like these pre-commands in a dummy menu PGC:
    Code:
    # Load the language code for English ("en") in GPRM 0
    [71 00 00 00 65 6E 00 00]   1  Set gprm(0) =(mov) 25966 ("en") 
    # Compare GPRM 0 with the preferred menu language of the user stored in SPRM 0
    # and if it is equal, jump to the PGC with the menu in English
    [20 24 00 00 00 80 00 0A]   2  if ( gprm(0) == sprm(0:Preferred menu language) ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 10 } 
    # Same thing for the Spanish and Portuguese languages
    [71 00 00 00 65 73 00 00]   3  Set gprm(0) =(mov) 25971 ("es") 
    [20 24 00 00 00 80 00 0B]   4  if ( gprm(0) == sprm(0:Preferred menu language) ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 11 } 
    [71 00 00 00 70 74 00 00]   5  Set gprm(0) =(mov) 28788 ("pt") 
    [20 24 00 00 00 80 00 0C]   6  if ( gprm(0) == sprm(0:Preferred menu language) ) then { LinkPGCN PGC 12 }
    # If nothing has been called so far, jump to the default menu (English in this example)
    [20 04 00 00 00 00 00 0A]   7  LinkPGCN PGC 10
    You may have to repeat the same trick for all menus (like the Root, Title or Chapter menus), depending of the complexity of your menus.

In fact, this method resembles the way most commercial DVD with Audio/Subtitles menus work. The difference is that the selected language is stored in a GPRM when the user selects a language button. If you want simply to obey the user's choice in the preferences of the player, use SPRM 0 instead, like in my example above.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• kirous
      • Jul 2015

Hi, thanks, it helped me a lot, well ... I have some queries to tell you and hope PGCEdit can do:

1.- After having achieved this operation, in PGCEdit, is there a language change test in Trace Mode? Or do I have to test on the PC players?

2.- Why can not I remove any scales from the PGC, if not the last ?, if there is an option in the PGCEdit to remove any PGC of any order ?.

3.- If at the moment of cloning the LU in different parts and putting it in accordance with the language and eliminating some PGC in the first LU, and when I want to order it, it does not leave me, and it gives me a message saying "it has to be Just like the other cloned LUs ", this comes from the option " Remap PGCs of Domain ". Is there any way for me not to get that message and sort them scaled ?.

4.- Finally, I would like you to give a brief explanation of what the colors of the buttons are in the options of "Sub-picture Color Lookup Table" and Color schemes editor?

Well. That's it, thanks for the help. Sorry my bad English XD!!

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

1. Not sure what "operation". Have you created several LUs, or used the code snippet to jump to the PGC of the menu in the user's language? According to question 3, you have several LUs. Anyway, in both cases, the navigation should be different if you change the Preferred Menu Language Code in the player settings (first setting in the menu Trace -> Virtual Player Setup). For several LUs, the trace should use the right LU automatically. For the second case, the target of the commands I've described above should be different. Of course, PgcEdit has no way to know the language of the target PGC if they are not authored in different LUs, but you should know if the right PGC is played according to the current language you have selected.

Modify the Preferred Menu Language in the settings several times to check your different languages (and don't forget to try with an unsupported language, just to be sure that the default LU is correctly played.)
        2. Use Domain -> Remap PGCs of Domain to move the PGC you want to delete at the end of the domain, and then use Delete Last PGC in Domain.
        3. Normally, all LUs must have exactly the same structure, and the same VM commands, as otherwise, strange things can happen. For example, if your current Preferred Menu Language is "en" and during the playback of the movie you press the menu button, the player should jump to the Root menu of the "en" LU. Now, imagine that you have another LU "es" but without a Root menu entry and you select "es" as your preferred menu language. If you press the Root menu during the playback, the player will try to jump to the Root menu of the "es" menu, but since it doesn't exist, nothing will happen. It is of course absurd to have two different behaviours when two different languages are selected. Therefore, the LUs must be identical. It is also much more easy to author several identical LUs. Only the video, audio and subtitles may be different, and to archive this, it is sufficient to use different VOB/CELL IDs in the PGCs of the different LUs. Everything else, like the overall menu structure and the VM commands, are usually strictly identical in all LUs. (Note that some rare commercial DVDs do not respect that rule, like the Simpsons series, but that's much more difficult to master, and you should use the simplest method.)

Anyway, the case of different LUs with a different number of PGCs is so rare and so bizarre that that case has not been implemented in PgcEdit. You can edit the LUs independently, but it's not recommended.

If you want to remap the menus of a LU and PGCEdit refuses to do it because there are other LUs with a different structure, try to create new PGCs in the other LUs so that the LUs will have exactly the same structure. Personally, I prefer to edit a single LU (say the first, "en" LU), and when it works exactly as expected, I clone it, and I change the video cells of the clone with the PGC Editor to use the VOB cells in the new language. Finally, I remove the original unedited LUs.
        4. Well, there are many stupid decisions in the DVD-Video specifications. Among them, there is the handling of the colours and transparency of the button highlights. It would have been too simple to put the colours and transparency values of each button with the button itself, in the NAV packs of the VOB files, but the "experts" who have created the DVD-Video specs have decided to make something much more complex and IMO totally absurd. The menu buttons must be authored in the NAV packs of the VOBs, except the colours, that are defined in the PGC (in the IFO). That means that the colours of the highlights of ALL buttons of a single PGC are defined in the PGC itself, and not with the buttons! There are 16 colours (to be chosen in the full range of 16 millions of colours), that are contained in the CLUT of the PGC. You can edit them with the PGC editor.

In the other hand, as you know, a button highlight can have only 4 colours (with one of them being usually completely transparent). The 4 colours must be chosen in the 16 colours defined in the CLUT. Another button in the same cell can use 4 different colours, but selected in the same CLUT. The Colour Scheme allows you to define these 4 colours. (In fact, you don't define a colour, but you select the index in the CLUT of the colour you want to use.)

The opacity of each of the 4 colours is defined also in the Colour Scheme. Here, it's not an index into a table of opacity values, but a real value, ranging from 0 (full transparent) to 15 (opaque).

You can define up to 3 different colour schemes per cell. That means that in a menu with more than 3 buttons, several buttons must share the same colour scheme.

That bizarre architecture is totally absurd because defining the colours and opacity of each button separately (in the full range of the 16 millions of colours and 256 possible values of the transparency) would have been MUCH more powerful and would NOT have occupied more place in the NAV packs. Stupid is the word to qualify the work of these "experts", and unfortunately, we have to live with that.
        Last edited by r0lZ; 16 Jan 2017, 08:50 PM.
        r0lZ

Comment

• kirous
          • Jul 2015

OK, I understand, sorry that PGCEdit can not perform some "complex" processes, but what is the colors of the "navigation buttons", I thought that doing that no longer had the problem that the hightlight buttons disappeared . But in the previous comment consult about that problem, you told me that you have to use a codec for 32 bit system and that with that I did not have that problem. Better than obligatorily I have to have in my PC all system of 32 Bits so that it does not have any problem ?.

Well I tell you that most of the tutorials use Windows XP, both on the web and instructional videos, but as we are in the new versions, I thought that the authors of the applications for the edition opened renewed, but they stayed and there are some Software that works perfectly in a system of 32 bits (although they are old versions), but for 64 bits very little is its stability, that is why in one of the posts I said that if the program PGCEdit had support of 64Bits or to make an improvement for the 64 bit compatibility, because as I am using a 64 bit system ... for the blessed Adobe After Effects program that hurts did not get a 32 bit version as it was version 4, well, hopefully the PGCEdit program is renewed to a new Version and with improvements, since now I am using, there are times that it fails, in what is in the "Preview" and "Show Menu" in images.

Well, ah! Another thing, in other post, see if in the PGCEdit there is an option for the "Title Button" and "Menu Button" which makes the jump to the Menu ROOT or also jump in the movies or rather to return to the Menu ROOT, as well as other functionalities like the "SUMMARY" of the film and others .... But it is a "dumb" query.

Well, I hope your prompt response and thanks in advance. Sorry my bad English XD

Note: On the "operation" would be the cloning of LUs and the insertion of VM COMMAND.... sorry

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

I understand nothing!

Originally Posted by kirous
            OK, I understand, sorry that PGCEdit can not perform some "complex" processes
            PgcEdit is alreafy extremely complex. I just don't want to waste my time writing things that nobody will use.

but what is the colors of the "navigation buttons", I thought that doing that no longer had the problem that the hightlight buttons disappeared .
            What?!? What's that problem with the highlights? This thread is dedicated to the problem of the LU language, and nothing else.

But in the previous comment consult about that problem, you told me that you have to use a codec for 32 bit system and that with that I did not have that problem. Better than obligatorily I have to have in my PC all system of 32 Bits so that it does not have any problem ?.
            I don't remember that. I write about 10 post per days, and I can't remember everything. So, if you want to refer to a previous post or another thread, please insert the link to that post or thread. Anyway, if I told you about 32-bit codecs, it's CERTAINLY only related to the PLAYERS. Certainly NOT about PgcEdit. PgcEdit doesn't use any codec. Anyway, the codec has nothing to do with the LU and language of the menus, that are the subject of this thread.

Well I tell you that most of the tutorials use Windows XP, both on the web and instructional videos, but as we are in the new versions, I thought that the authors of the applications for the edition opened renewed, but they stayed and there are some Software that works perfectly in a system of 32 bits (although they are old versions), but for 64 bits very little is its stability, that is why in one of the posts I said that if the program PGCEdit had support of 64Bits or to make an improvement for the 64 bit compatibility, because as I am using a 64 bit system ... for the blessed Adobe After Effects program that hurts did not get a 32 bit version as it was version 4, well, hopefully the PGCEdit program is renewed to a new Version and with improvements, since now I am using, there are times that it fails, in what is in the "Preview" and "Show Menu" in images.
            Most guides are old, that's true, because the DVD technology is old. PgcEdit is a 32-bit program, and like (almost) all 32-bit programs, it works perfectly under Windows 64-bit. There are absolutely no reasons to modify or recompile it. I use it under Win7 and Win10, both 64-bit, without any problem. It is also totally wrong that 32-bit programs may be less stable than 32-bit (or the opposite).

All versions of Windows 64-bit install in fact two versions of all system files, for 32 and 64-bits. A 32-bit program that requires system libraries will simply use the 32-bit version of the libraries, exactly like under Windows 32-bit. The only known compatibility issue with 32-bit programs are the drivers. If you have, for example, an old printer with drivers in 32-bit only, you may not be able to use it with a 64-bit program. PgcEdit doesn't require any driver, and is therefore perfectly compatible with any version of Windows, 32 or 64-bit.

Well, ah! Another thing, in other post, see if in the PGCEdit there is an option for the "Title Button" and "Menu Button" which makes the jump to the Menu ROOT or also jump in the movies or rather to return to the Menu ROOT, as well as other functionalities like the "SUMMARY" of the film and others .... But it is a "dumb" query.
            Sorry, that gibberish is totally impossible to understand. And again, add the links to the other threads you are referring to!
            Last edited by r0lZ; 17 Jan 2017, 10:00 PM.
            r0lZ

Comment

• kirous
              • Jul 2015

Thank you, my friend, and forgive me for some questions that do not agree with this topic, my friend, it was very useful and thank you for the support.

The post you want to know is in the doom9 post and the title is: "[DVDLAB PRO] Someone can help me solve the HI-LITE submenu?"

It is about problems of the cells, since the first cell appears the buttons and when giving next cell does not appear, it is like disappearing, but if it works in the DVD player, it is only the SUBMENUS of the chapters.

Well, once again thank you..... Sorry my bad English XD

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

OK, I remember vaguely that thread, and indeed if an highlight is correctly displayed by most players except one, that may mean that you have a problem with a codec. But it's not related at all to PgcEdit, that doesn't use any codec.

Anyway, good luck with your DVDs.
                r0lZ

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍