Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teh roxxors
    • Aug 2006

Convert MKV to almost anything else?

Matroska Video file My video downloader just started saving files as MKVs. It used FLV for a while, then WebM, and now it's MKV. Pretty sure they do it just to piss me off. I can't do anything with MKVs other than watch them on my computer. VLC pretends to convert them, but the resulting files are corrupted. Any Video Converter cannot convert them to anything. DVD Flick can't touch them. AVS to DVD is dropping 1080p to 720p. I'd like to turn them into MP4s that I can use everywhere, but I can't find anything that can handle this conversion, other than a little command line converter with scant documentation (I could not get it to work). Are there any Windows programs that can handle a MKV to MP4 conversion? Thanks for any help!
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Try VidCoder:

VidCoder is an open-source DVD/Blu-ray ripping and video transcoding application for Windows. It uses HandBrake as its encoding engine.

It's now my goto for this kind of job, although if you only want to do MKV to MP4 transcoding (no conversion, so super quick), I'd use XMedia Recode:

XMedia Recode is a free All-In-One video converter and audio converter tool.

Technically you can achieve all of this with the ffmpeg on the command line, but who has time for that!
    Last edited by admin; 26 Aug 2020, 11:45 AM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎