• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Vandelay
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2006

Verbatim Quality

Is it jsut me or is the quality control at Verbatim on the decline? Ijust bought a spindle of 100 (16X DVD-R media ID is MCC03RG20 Taiwan) and I looked at the first DVD and it was real dirty espefcially at the beginning and at the outer most edge. I have been washing them with warm watter and a weak solution of dish soap. Both DVD's I have just burnt have pixilation at the start but then are OK. MCC03RG20 is first quality media but the quality controll at packaging is going down hill. I think I will be going back to Sony DVD's.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I had good luck with supermedia and TY dvd-r's until the last batch came in a box with just a handful of peanuts and the wrap had been torn on one of the 100 packs, I carefully blew the fine styrofoam dust away and had to clean a few. I might have pitched a couple. That's still better than buying crap media that looks perfect. The 16x dvd+r verbatims are still some of the best all round blanks you can get.

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

I had good luck with supermedia and TY dvd-r's until the last batch came in a box with just a handful of peanuts and the wrap had been torn on one of the 100 packs,
      Seems like that's the way it is with the shipping these days; All of the orders I receive from supermedia, meritline, newegg, etc., come very poorly protected.

Sometimes the wrap has been broken loose on the spindles, allowing the discs to shift around a bit; I wondered if the rubbing together of the discs during transit may cause scuff/damage? (maybe that you can't see)

But, in my experience, shiping as a whole has been on the decline for several years; I purchased a very expensive drum set around 3 yrs. ago, & when it arrived, I was appaled at the "wrapping" job. Top of the line instrument, wrapped in torn, brown paper. No peanuts, bubble wrap, etc. Everything scraping around against each other inside the boxes...

But back to the Verbatims; I have had nothing but very good luck with them. Right now I am using +R 8X. I was thinking of buying the DL Verbs., so I wouldn't have to shrink my backups so much.

regards, katz

Comment

• NightTran
        Emperor of Digital Video
        Emperor of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

if you get verbatim get the +
        sigpic

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

I have had good luck with both the MCC004 and MCC003 +R Verbatims

Comment

• rahzel
            just farted
            • Aug 2004

if you're in north america, Verbatim DVD+/-R's can be made by CMC or Prodisc (both made in Taiwan). CMC has much better quality control than prodisc does. i'm guessing you got Prodisc made. with that said, CMC made Verbatim (in my experience) is still quite variable in quality, however, never BAD (i can't say the same for Prodisc made).

theres a few ways you can tell if theyre prodisc or CMC made. if theyre CMC made, the inner clear ring will have a serial number that usually starts with the letters PAPAxxxxx. Prodisc made has a serial (in the same location) but their serials are a series of numbers/letters with a + or - in the middle (indicating DVD+R or DVD-R).

the other way will help you when you're actually buying them, because obviously you cant see the serials in the packaging. CMC and Prodisc use different cakeboxes or spindles and both have the words "OPEN" and "LOCK" on the top of them; but CMC uses a TIMES NEW ROMAN font and Prodisc uses an ARIAL font.

if you live outside of NA, Verbatim DVDR's can also be made by Moser Baer, but these can be easily spotted as they are Made in India. i would put Moser Baer made Verbatim between CMC and Prodisc as far as quality.

and like others have said, Verbatim DVD+R's are better than Verbatim DVD-R's. CMC and Moser Baer made Verbatim are one of the best DVDR's you can buy. they are my second favorite DVDR's under $1/disc (Maxell Plus Series being my favorite). the only DVDR's that i think are better are the ones made for longevity (ie Maxell Broadcast Quality or Verbatim UltraLife Gold DVD-R's).
            Last edited by rahzel; 27 Oct 2006, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Theasley
              • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by rahzel
              and like others have said, Verbatim DVD+R's are better than Verbatim DVD-R's.
              Why is this? Is there an informational link someone can provide? I heard that the -R format is what should be used.

The production company I work for is looking for quality media to use for video projects and we recently bought a spindle of Verbatim +R and -R.

Comment

• MikeyBK
                Digital Video Maniac
                • Feb 2006

Verbatim DVD+Rs booktyped to DVDRom, can't go wrong with that>>
                MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Gary D
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
                  I have had good luck with both the MCC004 and MCC003 +R Verbatims
                  These are my favourites too and in a pinch, I will use $ony DVD+Rs (Made in Japan). But usually they are twice as expensive as a Verbatim. The Verbs I will buy in bulk to get the savings.
                  Gary D

Comment

• rahzel
                    just farted
                    • Aug 2004

Originally Posted by Theasley
                    Why is this? Is there an informational link someone can provide? I heard that the -R format is what should be used.

The production company I work for is looking for quality media to use for video projects and we recently bought a spindle of Verbatim +R and -R.
                    i'm not generally speaking, i'm specifically talking about Verbatim DVD+R's and Verbatim DVD-R's (its different for every brand/manufacturer). theres no informational links, it's just what i (along with many others, including some VERY knowledgeable people i know) think. but in my experience, most brands/manufacturers actually do make better +R media than -R. i like Optodisc, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, CMC and Ricoh DVD+R's more so than DVD-R and DVD+RDL media is MUCH better than DVD-RDL media; i wouldnt even buy Verbatim DVD-RDL media as the standard simply doesnt make as good of a DL disc than +R does.

@ Gary D, wal-mart has sony 50 packs for 17.99. and btw, if you didnt know, all Sony MIJ DVD+R's are YUDEN000T02 (Taiyo Yuden) and is better than any oem unbranded Taiyo Yuden media, because Sony branded Taiyo Yuden media has good bonding (unlike Taiyo Yuden's OEM media).
                    Last edited by rahzel; 28 Oct 2006, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Feb 2006

+ or -

I have always used DVD-R since my Panasonic DVD player says it will only play DVD-R or DVD-RAM disks. I have had good luck with Maxell DVD-R (Japan MXL I.D.) or Sony DVD-R (Sony ID Taiwan) or Fuji (Fuji ID Taiwan)

I recently bought some Sony DVD+RW disks to test some backups on. I bitset or Booktype to DVD-ROM and they play fine in my Panasonic player. I just am in the habit of using the DVD-R format, the Verbatim DVD's in question are MCC03RG20 and the DVD media guide that some people have in there signatures rates them as first class. I was just amazed by how dirty they were. I bought them in Canada from Futureshop for 29.99 for a cake tower of 100 smoken deal but I didn't count on checking them befoire I use them.

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                        Digital Video Technician
                        Digital Video Technician
                        • Feb 2006

The ID for these Verbatims (DVD-R) is for Mitsubishi Chemicals. I was getting scared when you said CMC as in CMC Magnetics which are of poor quality (Memorex).

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

Verbatim outsources their single layer disks to cmc mag, prodisc and mbi.
                          Quality control and MCC dye are used for the verbatim disks. Memorex could care less, and it shows.

Comment

• rahzel
                            just farted
                            • Aug 2004

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
                            The ID for these Verbatims (DVD-R) is for Mitsubishi Chemicals. I was getting scared when you said CMC as in CMC Magnetics which are of poor quality (Memorex).
                            yeah, Verbatim single layer discs are all outsourced now as Chewy said, even their DL media is soon going to be outsourced as well (made by moser baer in india and should start hitting stores in november). all 3 manufacturers that make MCC media are supposed to make it exactly how mitsubishi makes it, but again, CMC has much better quality control than prodisc and moser baer is kinda between as far as quality.

as for CMC Magnetics being "crap", actually, CMC media is actually pretty good. there are different grades of CMC media, so the CMC youll find in say memorex will most likely be worse than the CMC media youll find in say, Maxell or HP. also, CMC is just one of the many DVD's memorex buys (they dont make their own media).

Comment

• MikeyBK
                              Digital Video Maniac
                              • Feb 2006

I have been buying quite a bit of Verbatim + media for a long while and they are all MCC004, have yet to come across any that say CMC or any other ID.

BTW, CMC 'pretty good'?? Must be some nice herbs you been smokin..... J/K
                              MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                              Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                              ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                              Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                              XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                              Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                              Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                              *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                              *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

Working...